Pages

Thursday, October 31, 2013

My small step for science-kind

Well this week has been a little better then the last but I still have not gotten the results that I had initially hoped for, but the is the definition of science, right??
Actually, the definition of science, according to Webster, is "the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behavior of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.". 

www.npr.org

 I've been doing a ton of experimentation but if nothing else, I'm fine tuning my DNA extraction skills, and in my field, that is never a bad thing. 

So this week there really isn't a whole lot of new progress but I have altered my protocol a bit.  I have increased my original DNA in salt solution sample.  Thanks to Anil, who gave me some valuable advice, I took 1.5 uL of each sample, spun it down, then I added another 1.5 uL of solution and spun in down again to maximize the amount of DNA. 

I think that my problem this week is that my samples are not longer viable, they may be too old.  So today, I'm hoping to start some new solutions with samples from my fellow students.  But I did make some progress, I got one really bright band from a member of our Bioscience staff, I was able to reproduce it twice so I know that I am on the right track.  Below are a few photos of my some-what-successful electrophoresis gels.
The bright orange band is the best sample that I have gotten so far


This is my desired results. 

No comments:

Post a Comment