Pages

Monday, April 22, 2013

Have you ever been working on something and gotten to a point where you don't think you can go any further? Well that happened to me this week.  I've been working on my hay infusion project for over 70 days now and although it has been extremely exciting, I really didn't think that after all this time I'd find any new species of microbes BUT surprise....I did.
My new addition to my macrocosm are nematodes. I was so ecstatic that after such a long time of just counting all of my known species I was now able to add a new microbe to my list.  
What are nematodes you ask?  Well according to my recent research they are the most numerous multi-cellular organisms on earth!  The are free living species which are very abundant and they feed on bacteria, other nutrients and in my case, fungi.  There are two types one is parasitic (living off the host like a type of roundworm) and a non-parasitic ones that live in the water and on land (nematode.unl.edu). 

I have a few photo's of them, they were moving so fast under the microscope that my pictures were a bit blurry but they are the worm like objects at the top right and left of the photo.

It has take me some time to compile all of my data in a format that I could manipulate using Excel, here are the first drafts of my microbe succession date tables...if nothing else they are nice to look at!!!

This is a graph outlining the microbes that I found from the top section of my water










No comments:

Post a Comment