Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

One giant step for me....(waiting for my giant leap)

Well....I'm still waiting on results and data but I have had a few successful steps but not enough to actually pull substantial data.  I think that we have come to the conclusion that the primers that I am running for my PCR are just not working.  The sequencing on the labels do not match the sequencing on the papers that they came with so....that is a problem.
Last week I blogged that I finally got some really great bands from my DNA extraction with the new extraction buffer that I made so that was a big step in the right direction.  Matt has given me some new primers, rice primers.  I had written about these in a previous blog.  They are called universal rice primers for the reason that they should work for just about anything.  But Matt has never used them on human DNA yet so again...I will be a bit of a pioneer in this field.  Today I am running a electrophoresis gel on the primers alone (well with Saber green, orange loading dye and a little DNase free water).  I have a total of 7 primers, so I will be able to see whether or not these are good to use on my project and also on future STEM PCR protocols.  If all 7 primers work, then I can get started on another round of PCR on Monday with the extracted DNA that I KNOW is gold.
Slowly but surely, I will succeed and get results.


As per ususal...
“The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.”
Molière

No comments:

Post a Comment